Users of the NJIT libraries have the right to expect:
- a library environment that is free of disruptive activities including, but not limited to rowdiness, noise, and sexual behavior
- access to library materials that are complete and unmarked
- surroundings free from food, tobacco, and their resulting problems
Conduct of library users
- To maintain a quiet study atmosphere in the libraries only whispering or soft talking is permitted in most areas. Absolutely no talking is permitted in the "Quiet Areas: Study Room, 2nd floor, Computer Training Room (CAB 1050) the entire Library Basement.
- Cell phones, pagers, and other electronic communications devices must be turned off or placed in mute or vibrate mode upon entering the NJIT libraries. Cell phone conversations only in the building lobby on the 1st floor, in the enclosed copy room on the 2nd floor, or in a quiet corner where you will not disturb other students.
- Beverages in covered containers are allowed in study areas, but not in the Computer Lab.
- Food and smoking are not permitted in the libraries.
- Academic work in the libraries is the priority. Mutilation and theft of library materials are serious offenses. Offenders will be penalized and payment must be made to cover all damages.
- Copyright law should be strictly observed by all library users when making copies of library materials.
- Reservation of seats in the libraries is not permitted.
- Personal belongings should not be left unattended. The libraries will not be responsible for any loss or damages of personal belongings. Books and other materials left unattended may be removed by library staff and taken to the Circulation Desk.
- Shoes or other footwear must be worn at all times in the libraries. In line skates are not permitted.
- The library has a security system to safeguard library materials. If the alarm sounds, return to the circulation desk.
- Bicycles are not permitted in the libraries, except public safety bicycles.
- Users should be aware of NJIT's computer use policy.
Users who violate these policies will be asked to show their NJIT or outside ID card to an NJIT library staff member. The library will keep a record of the violation.
Repeat violators will be reported to the Dean of Students office or to the Office of Public Safety. Library privileges may also be suspended.
Updated October 15, 2009