NJIT librarian liaison program began in 1992. Each NJIT reference librarian is assigned one or more academic departments and acts as a single point of contact for those faculty and students in such departments who require in-depth or subject-specific assistance. Each reference librarian is expected to:
- Develop subject expertise relevant to the disciplines of each assigned department; keep abreast of recent technical advances and trends.
- Provide faculty and students with Information searching assistance.
- Act as a single point of contact between individual users and the library to provide literature searching services and other customized information products. Maintain on-going, information contacts with library users in order to obtain information about their work and feedback on library products and services.
- Consult with NJIT faculty, administrative, and research personnel to learn of research projects which are underway or planned.
- Work with the academic departments to establish library user groups; lead periodic meetings. Meet regularly with users throughout the departments and attends technical programs in the departments.
- Promote library services to potential users; devise and make user information presentations on library services and products. Devise displays and promotional publications.