- Who may request items through interlibrary loan and article delivery services?
- What can I borrow through interlibrary loan and article delivery services?
- How many items can I request? Is there a cost associated with submitting an interlibrary loan request?
- How long will it take to receive my interlibrary loan request?
- How will I know when my interlibrary loan request arrived?
- Where do I pick up my interlibrary loan request?
- How long can I keep my interlibrary loan request? Can I renew if I need to keep it longer?
- Are there overdue fines for interlibrary loan items?
- I still have a question. Who can I contact?
Currently registered students (including distance learners), faculty, emeritus faculty and staff of NJIT. Rutgers students who are currently cross-registered for NJIT classes. The staff at the Circulation Desk will provide a library barcode if you do not have one.
- Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges with other NJ's VALE academic libraries for students, faculty and staff.
- Services for Online Learing
- Library Privileges for EDC Members must submit interlibrary loan requests in person to the Interlibrary Loan office.
- Alumni and NJIT affiliate borrowers are not legible for interlibrary loan.
Books (except course related textbooks), articles, dissertations, proceedings, patents, and reports needed for academic research that the NJIT libraries do not own. Non-print materials may be difficult to obtain as most library do not loan these items. We encourage students to ask their professors to put a copy of the required texbooks on reserve.
You may place any number of requests at one time; however interlibrary loan staff will process up to 10 items (in priority order) per patron per day during peak times of the semester. Interlibrary Loan staff cannot order multiple copies of a single title for classroom use nor can we order ILL for placement on reserve.
Currently there is no charge for interlibrary loan items unless the cost of the loan or copy exceeds $35. You will be notified before the request is made if there are charges beyond the $35 cap.
Books take anywhere from 4 days to several weeks depending on who is the lender. Most articles arrive 24-hours to 3 days, but may take longer if we have difficulty identifying a lender or incorrect citation is provided. Articles received electronically (PDF format) will be accessed through your ILLiad account.
An email notification will be sent to your NJIT email account. Articles received electronically (PDF format) will be accessible through your ILLiad account.
Books and other returnable items on loan to you can be picked up at the Van Houten Library Interlibrary Loan window between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday otherwise at the Circulation Desk.
For distance learners - physical materials will be mailed to you as selected on the request form. Articles received electronically (PDF format) will be accessible through your ILLiad account.
Due dates vary depending on the policies of the lending library. Interlibrary item may be recalled at any time by the lending library. You may request renewals by sending an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 973-596-3204.
Yes. After the item is 28 days overdue, it will be updated as “lost”. You will be charged for the replacement cost of the lost item as determined by the lending library, and your borrowing and interlibrary loan privileges will be blocked until the item has been returned, or the replacement cost paid.