The Robert W. Van Houten Library at NJIT seeks a Technical Reference Librarian who reports to the Director of Reference and works primarily as the library's liaison to designated academic departments for reference, information literacy instruction, assessment, collection development, and user satisfaction. This position also performs literature searching and citation analysis, creates course guides and tutorials, and other duties as necessary. This position requires collaboration with all library staff and other NJIT staff in delivering user satisfaction service. View complete job description. Position is open until filled.
The incumbent is responsible for performing professional duties including but not limited to:
- Work independently and in teams,
- Act as liaison with designated academic departments,
- Provide reference services,
- Assist faculty and students with their research needs
- Perform literature searching and analyses,
- Provide information literacy instruction and assessment,
- Participate in accreditation program assessment and review,
- Participate in collection development ,
- Perform citation analysis for promotion and tenure,
- Promote and improve library services,
- Create course guides and tutorials,
- Work closely with library and university staff to ensure continuity of access to electronic resources and other library services,
- Maintain awareness of trends and best practices in reference and library services,
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time, Monday to Friday, 12-month, non-tenure-track position. Typical work week includes one evening (at least until 9:00 pm) per week during fall and spring semesters and may include two weekends per year. Selected incumbent must become a New Jersey resident within 365 days of appointment.
The successful candidate is expected to work collegially and to build relationship within the library and on campus and will be viewed by the faculty as a colleague; provide service to the library, the university and the profession in accordance with the libraries and universities standards for contract renewals.
Duties are only illustrative and will be reassigned as needed.
- Liaison responsibility: Act as liaison to assigned academic departments; participate in departmental meetings; provide research consultation to faculty and students as needed; perform citation analysis for promotion and tenure; and promote new and improved services.
- Reference service: Perform reference duties including but not limited to electronic services such as chat, e-mail, text; perform literature searching and analysis; promote services by satisfying patrons' library requests and needs.
- Information literacy: Collaborate with faculty to provide instruction, and assessment; provide library orientations and tours and create instructional materials for assigned departments.
- Collection development: Participate in selection and development of print and electronic collections.
- ALA accredited MLS degree in Library or Information Science.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent personal and interpersonal skills (energetic, creativity, initiative, etc.) including presentation skills.
- Evidence of successful professional reference and/or research service experience including excellent searching skills.
- Evidence of instruction or teaching experience.
- Public service oriented and able to maintain collegial professional relationship with students, faculty, and staff.
- Excellent computer skills (i.e. applications and software related to library services such as Windows and Microsoft Office Suite)
And at least one or more of the following STEM expertise qualifications:
- Master's degree in STEM disciplines taught at NJIT which include but are not limited to biological science, computer science, mathematics, transportation, physics, civil, mechanical, industrial, biomedical, chemical, electrical engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics and physical or biological science discipline.
- Professional working experience in a science, mathematics or engineering library.
- Professional working experience in STEM disciplines taught at NJIT.
- Working knowledge of course management software and/or content management software.
- Working knowledge with web authoring and database creation skills.
- Work experience of bibliographic citation management software such as EndNote, learning management software such as Moodle and other library related software such as LibGuides.
- Experience with curriculum or course development including development of assignments and rubrics for grading as well as with educational assessment.
To apply for the permanent position please refer to the complete job description including preferred qualifications and essential characteristics. Apply online through the NJIT employment system.
Search for posting number: 0601111 or title: Technical Reference Librarian or department: Van Houten Library.
The university reserves the right to substitute equivalent education and/or experience at its discretion. NJIT is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and Vietnam era and disabled veterans to apply.