The New Jersey Institute of Technology is seeking a Technical Reference Librarian who reports to the Director of Reference and works primarily as the library's liaison to assigned engineering or other academic departments for reference, information literacy instruction, assessment, collection development, and user satisfaction. Also performs literature searching and citation analysis, creation of online subject and course guides and tutorials, and other duties as necessary. View full job description. Position is open until filled.
- Masters in Library or Information Science (ALA Accredited)
- BA/BS degree (in science, mathematics or engineering highly desirable)
- Significant successful professional academic reference or research service experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in one or more scientific and technical disciplines taught at NJIT.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent personal and interpersonal skills (energy, creativity, initiative, friendliness, etc.).
- Teaching experience.
- Public service oriented; maintains collegial professional relationship with library faculty, students, NJIT staff, library staff, and administrators.
- Excellent computer skills. (e.g. Windows, Microsoft Office, E-learning authoring software such as Camtasia, course management software, content management software). Excellent searching skills (e.g. citation databases, full text/image databases and integrated library systems).
- Extensive internet and web searching experience.
- Keeps current as professional librarian.
- MS in technical NJIT disciplines which include but are not limited to computer science, biology, mathematics, transportation, physics, and civil, mechanical, industrial, biomedical, chemical, electrical, and computer engineering.
- Experience in a science, mathematics or engineering library.
- High level web authoring skills and experience.
- High level database creation and maintenance skills.
- Skilled with EndNote, LibGuides, Wikipedia, Moodle or other wiki editing, mobile technologies, and other job related software.
- Experience with curriculum or course development including development of assignments and rubrics for grading.
- Experience with educational assessment.
Full-time, Monday-Friday. Typical work week includes one evening (until 7:00pm) per week during fall and spring semesters and two weekends per year.
The position is by contract, non-tenured (Librarians are not eligible for tenure at NJIT.) Selected candidate must become a New Jersey resident within 365 days of appointment.
To apply for the permanent position please refer to the complete job description including preferred qualifications and essential characteristics. Apply online through the NJIT employment system. Posting Number: 0600742.
Search for posting number: 0600742 or title: Technical Reference Librarian or department: Van Houten Library.
The university reserves the right to substitute equivalent education and/or experience at its discretion. NJIT is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and Vietnam era and disabled veterans to apply.