The Robert W. Van Houten Library exists primarily to meet the needs of students, faculty and staff of the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Permissive guests may use the electronic resources for research and educational purposes, generally for limited periods of time. Such permissive guests must observe NJIT's Guidelines for responsible use of computing facilities policy. Permissive guests must understand that the university reserves the right to limit, restrict or remove computing and/or library resources.
During times of high usage, the time allowed for permissive guests may be limited. If a member of the NJIT community needs a computer, the permissive guest will be asked to relinquish the computer immediately.
Permissive guests who do not comply with these policies will be asked to relinquish the computer immediately and may be asked to leave the premises.
Permissive guest may:
- Permissive guests may request access to the Library's computing facilities by presenting a valid picture ID (drivers license, passport, company or university ID) to the Lab Assistant in the Information Commons.
- A permissive guest is normally allowed 3 visits per semester to use the computing facilities.
- A permissive guest will fill out this
formwith the Lab Assistant on duty to agree to abide by this policy.
Permissive guests may not:
- Use software other than the internet browsers
- Play games
- Go into chat rooms
- Email (except to send citations from a database search)
- Use shopping or auction web sites
- Surf the web for non-research purposes
Adopted at the March 8, 2002, Librarians Meeting.